Josh Seiden, the fourth speaker in Stride's Leadership through adversity speaker series, spoke about the value of focusing on outcomes, defined as: "measurable changes in behavior that drive business results."
A consultant with a background in Product and Design, co-author of Sense and Respond and Lean UX and author of Outcomes over Output, Seiden used stories to illustrate how to modify thinking along the Logic Model Framework, from resources, activities and outputs to outcomes and impact.
He characterized the goal of outcome-related thinking as creating the most positive outcome with the smallest possible output and advocated using low-cost experiments to identify:
- What behaviors drive results for your business?
- How can you get people to do more of those behaviors?
- How will you know when it's working?
Click here for a recording of the full talk:
Stride's Leading through Adversity series brings experts from around the globe, from a variety of disciplines, to provide a 360-degree view on best practices for leading during uncertain times.
Upcoming speakers in the series include:
- Pivoting when your business model gets upended - Meetup CEO David Siegel (June 18th)
- Taking smart risks in a time when everything you do is a risk - Leadership consultant and author Doug Sunheim (June 25th)
- Continuously learning our way to better outcomes - Jeff Gothelf, author of "Lean UX" and "Sense & Respond" (July 2nd)
- Learning to manage remotely may transform how we think about and practice management - Author and speaker Esther Derby (July 9th)
- How limits empower your agility - author of Agile Retrospectives, Diana Larsen (July 16th)
- How the tech job market has shifted due to COVID-19 - Codecademy CEO Zach Sims (July 23rd)